Monday, July 23, 2012

The last first cut



It's a bit of a sad time in our house.  There are a lot of "lasts" happening.  By this I mean it's not just the last time Buster slept in his cot, but the last time we will use the cot.  With everything Buster has used and grown out of (clothes, high chair, toys, books etc) it is also the last time for all of us.  There are so many wonderful memories we have of all the kids using this stuff that it's a little emotional saying goodbye for the last time to it all.

And so it was with the very first haircut we gave Buster.  We knew he needed the haircut.  He had a nasty looking matted mess at the back of his head that no comb could get through.  As it is so cold at the moment we thought we could hold off on giving him the haircut until spring or summer.  However our hand was forced.  You see our little man had been a bit sick and he got some vomit in his hair and we weren't convinced after washing it that we'd got all the vomit out of his matted mess.


The matted mess

So reluctantly it had to be done.  It's Michael's job to give the first hair cut.  Well any type of hair cut actually.  I'm not so good at it.  He sat Buster down and tried to get a smock on him to protect his clothes, but Buster would have none of it.  To get him to sit still we offered him an icy pole, but he refused it.  Success was had with putting on Toy Story and he sat there happily while Michael snipped away.


The first cut

Half way there.

Other than taking a couple of photos, I couldn't watch it all unfold.  In fact, just like when Henry had his first hair cut, it has taken me weeks to get used to it and recognise my little man again.  I love long hair on my boys but will be the first to admit it is easier to wash and look after when it is shorter.

I kept the bowl of hair for over a week before picking out some bits and putting them away for a keepsake.  Now my baby boy looks more like a little boy, and it's bye bye to my baby - my last baby.


Hey presto, our little boy

No comments: